Monday, October 02, 2006

Friends (Michael W. Smith)

So, the song goes: Friends are friends forever...

*note* Throughout this post, I am using the term friend very loosely.

I've been thinking a lot lately about my friends & the relationships I have with them. I've had the "friend" conversation with Kat numerous times. We've talked about levels of friendship, making new friends, people you're no longer friends with (& why) & people who are returning friends.

We agree there are levels of friendship: strangers, acquaintences, buds, friends & dare I say, best friends. I have people in all these catagories. Well, except for the best friend catagory, but that's out of choice.

So, what if I think of someone as a friend & they think of me as a best friend? Should I feel guilty for not reciprocating the relationship? What if I have someone in my friend catagory & wish they were in the acquaintence catagory? Should I feel guilty for that?

How DO you demote a person to acquaintence status? I'm guessing you can ignore that person as much as possible. Certainly, you wouldn't include/involve/invite them to certain events (birthday parties & bridal showers, for example). And, when you're invited by them, you don't go. You put as much distance between the two of you as possible. But, since you don't want to look like the ass in the friendship, you still send them Christmas & birthday cards, until you've completely faded away. BUT, what happens if you see this person daily? That, I don't know. It's a little more challenging, but I don't know how you slowly fade away when you have no choice but to see them.

Early Sunday morning, I was reading the blog of a "friend" of a "friend". Then, I began wondering... I wonder when the last time "friend 1" spoke to "friend 2". Well, it's been a few days at least because "friend 2" is currently in Japan. I wonder if "friend 1" knows this. If you were really friends, shouldn't "friend 1" know?

Okay, then I was thinking about how some of my friends weren't always my friends. I couldn't stand Kim for the longest time. The feeling, I believe, was very mutual. Then some day, something happened. I can't pinpoint what it was that changed the way I felt, but for whatever reason, I let go of my jealousies & I saw her for who she is: a really good person with a big heart & wanting the same things out of life that I did. I'm SO glad you're a part of my 'friendship' circle, Kim. And I will come visit my friend in England should you move again. :o)

I don't know if it's fate or "God's will", but I do believe people come into your life for a reason. It's kinda funny to me, though, to see who's come & gone from my life & I can say to myself, "in retrospect, this person was here for this reason." and I can usually figure out what the reason was.

Today, I am thankful for:
1. Past friends
2. Current friends
3. Future friends
4. Girlfriends
5. Boyfriends

3 comments:

joel said...

I thought you and Kim didn't like each other because you both liked the same guy at the time. wasn't it something like that?

Jen said...

Regardless of the reasons why, the bottom line was we didn't care for each other. Now, I love her dearly!

joel said...

well duh! :)

that's awesome. I am very glad that you and Kim are far from the time when you two weren't good friends.