Sunday, August 24, 2008

Take My Breath Away (Berlin)

Mother Nature - 1, Jen - 0

Friday night, Jeff & I went camping with his parents. It was kinda a last minute trip. Sorta. Well, there were a few requirements (not too far, must have toilet, must have fires allowed, must have availability).

It turned out to be more last minute than I think anyone wanted it to be. We've known for weeks that we were going camping, but nobody would make a reservation. And by the time we were ready to make a reservation, there was nothing available. And where there was something available, no fires were allowed. Ugh!

We ended up going to The Dalles, about 25 miles east of Enumclaw, early Friday morning to see if they had anything available (we knew they had [stinky, hole in the ground] toilets & fires available). We reserved a spot & drove back to Enumclaw to let the 'rents know we got a spot secured, did a little grocery shopping & headed back to The Dalles & waited.

We were both exhaused from waking up so early, quickly packing the car, eating a big breakfast at The Lee & then driving out to The Dalles. Once camp was set up, I had to close my eyes for a few, but we had no air in the mattress so I sat in my chair, trying to sleep.

Bob & Penny made it out to the site a couple hours later & we learned while setting up their tent & stuff that they didn't have the plug for their air mattress. Crap. Bob drove back to Enumclaw to pick up a new, er, make that 2 new twin sized air mattresses to put in their tent. As it turns out, 2 twins is NOT the same size as 1 queen. It was quite funny watching Bob & Jeff get the twins in the tent & even more funny watching them try to zip the tent closed. Good times.

Once I laid down in bed, I absolutely could not breathe. I don't usually use my inhaler so I didn't bring it. I should have brought it. I was up ALL NIGHT LONG, coughing & wheezing. I think I got *maybe* 3 hours of sleep Friday night. I offered to go back home Saturday to get my inhaler, but was told that was silly. Let's just all pack up & go home.

So, we did. But first, let's have breakfast together. We ate at The Kettle & it was DELISH!! It just might be our new spot on the way out for breakfast.


Today, I am thankful for:
1. The Olympics being almost over
2. New shows about to begin
3. Van Hoof
4. Credit Cards
5. Trees that can survive 700 years

No comments: