Sunday, September 17, 2006

Shock Treatment (Rocky Horror Picture Show)

I LOVE shocking people. I like to say & do stuff that makes them go, "WHAT?!?!!?" I like seeing the reactions on their faces when they realize I'm not who they 'thought' I was. For example, 3 weeks ago, I got a tattoo of a palm tree on the back of my right shoulder. When I told folks, I got a lot of comments like, "where's the Jenn I know? She wouldn't do that." Well, actually I would. And, I did. I've actually wanted a tattoo since I was about 18 or so. I even drew one that I wanted... but I never got it. It was one of those where when I actually thought about getting it done, I didn't have the money and when I had the money, getting a tattoo was the last thing on my mind. Then, I got engaged & asked Jeff if he wanted to get matching tat's in HI & he said sure, but then while I kept thinking about it, I decided what I wanted & he changed his mind & opted out. No worries.

At my bridal shower yesterday, I did a little shocking too. The first shock came when I announced that Jeff got a new truck. Why is this shocking? Well, this is his 14th vehicle he's owned & the 2nd one he's owned this year. It's funny the reactions people have at stuff like this. People don't know this, but our finances aren't 100% combined. They think that somehow his vehicle buying habit affects me somehow. It doesn't. As long as he's okay with the payment & the vehicle he's driving, I don't mind. He says, however, this is the car for him & that he's done trading. If I'm being pefectly honest here, I'm going to say, "yeah, right. I'll believe it when I see it."

My second shocker at the shower was announcing my tattoo to folks. Well, really the only people I was shocking on that one was my dad's girlfriend, Helyn & Jeff's sister, Erin. I think I mentioned to Helyn a week or two prior to me getting it that I was really thinking about getting one, but she didn't think I would go through with it.

One past shock was a biggie that hurt someone's feelings. We announced our engagement to our circle of friends via a forum/website that this group uses, a few days after it happened, so they could all read about it at the same time. We didn't intend to dissappoint anyone by doing it that way, but that's the way we chose to do it. Would we do it again that way? Probably. Am I sorry this person got hurt in the process? Of course I am. I don't feel our friendship has been the same ever since & that saddens me. However, what's done is done & I can't change the past. I can only hope this person knows it wasn't meant to be malicious & they can be forgiving of the situation.

So, yesterday was my bridal shower & I had a great time. There was a ton of people there & they were all there to see ME! Who knew I had so many friends who cared about me? I have to say, though, that it really kinda freaks me out to have so many people in one spot, talking about different things & I can't focus on any one set of friends (I go into sensory overload!). When we were originally planning the bridal shower, we were going to have two - one for the "older/family" folks & one for the "younger/friends" folks. But, after talking it over, we decided that we could just do one party because not everyone was going to show up, first of all, but also, it would just be easier to stick it out & get it over with. This way, too, we'd only have to do one cake, one set of food, one set of games. And, the day would be over in 3 hours instead of dragging it on ALL DAY LONG.

Yesterday, was also Jeff's bachelor party day. It was killing me to know what they were doing. Jeff didn't know & Steve wouldn't tell me. Found out they were probably going to play cards & go to the driving range. And drink. Lots. As it turned out, they didn't go to the driving range, but played 72 holes of miniature golf, which Jeff said he would NEVER do again; it lasted 6+ hours. They also went & played cards at David's house. Jeff said they learned a new card game from Steve that was a lot of fun. Oh, and they drank. Lots. He got home around 5am! What a night, I'd say!!

And, since I knew my bridal shower wasn't going to last much past 2:00, I had asked Trina if she wanted to see The Devil Wears Prada later on. She said yes, but that left a lot of time after the shower so... After cleaning up, Joanna, Kat, Trina & I went & had a manicures & pedicures done. Then, it was off to dinner at a cafe in the West Seattle Junction before going to the Admiral Theater (where all seats for all shows is just $5. By the way, this USED to be the $2 theater). After this busy day, I NEEDED to unwind. Kat, Trina & I headed back to Auburn to unload the car with all the wonderful gifts & then we went to the Rock for some drinkies. They were done after less than one VERY strong drink & I had me a mai tai & margarita. Yummm.

Today, I am thankful for:
1. Grinders
2. Gift registries
3. Dishwashers
4. Forgiveness
5. Friendship

No comments: